Women’s Abdominal and Sacral Massage – also known as Fertility Massage
At Kennington Osteopaths we pride ourselves in the vast range of regular and alternative treatments we offer. One such treatment is Abdominal and Sacral Massage or Fertility Massage, designed specifically to benefit women who are experiencing gynaecological, digestive or emotional issues and want to improve their chances of becoming pregnant. Read on to find out more about the history of this lesser known treatment and how it may work for you.
What is Abdominal and Sacral Massage?
We can trace women’s abdominal and sacral massage lineage as far back as the Norse and Egyptian civilizations. This therapy is still practised in many parts of the world where it is part of the culture and tradition in treating some of these abdominal ailments.
It is a comforting, nourishing and intuitive abdominal massage that has been practised over the centuries to enable our bodies to release the tension and emotional blockages that are the source of many of these problems. With regular treatment the body is able to rebalance and re-energise for a healthy and discomfort free life.
Why is it important to massage the sacral, digestive and reproductive area?
In the abdomen, all muscles including the pelvic floor, organs and connective tissue share the same neural inputs. So, for example, if you have a digestive issue, the pain can be felt in the back, in the abdomen or anywhere in the pelvic region.
Also, there are ligaments that connect the sacrum to the uterus. If either are misaligned, it will, in turn, misalign the other.
Therefore, if one organ is misaligned, it will impinge on the circulation in the area and will lead to a reduction in blood flow, nutrients and oxygen to the abdominal cavity.
It’s important to note that the reproductive system is the only dispensable organ in the body, choosing to shut down if the body is not functioning optimally, to save impinging on the body’s health.
What does fertility massage consist of?
The massage performed is a blend of different ancestral techniques: Abdominal Massage, Pulsing, Acupressure and Rebozo technique. It focuses on the sacrum, the digestive and reproductive area.
- Abdominal Massage is an external non-invasive manipulation that aims to encourage the repositioning of internal organs that have shifted and are thereby restricting the flow of blood, lymphatics, nerves and energy.
- Pulsing is a rhythmic, rocking form of bodywork where the woman is gently and rhythmically rocked at approximately 120-160 beats per minute, which is the same as the heartbeat within the womb. Pulsing releases physical responses to emotional traumas, increases blood and lymphatic circulation throughout the whole body, which is essential for good fertility, especially the pelvic region and digestion. Finally Fascia that wraps around every muscle & organ within the body is gently encouraged to release. This also allows the movement of a misaligned womb to gently shimmy back into her rightful place.
- Acupressure is the massage of important acupuncture points. The finger tip is used instead of the needles with great effect.
- Rebozo massage is a technique, which uses the Mexican shawl Rebozo to rock the body in order to release tensions. To complete each session, the Rebozo is used to wrap the woman’s body. The woman is left feeling centred and grounded.
These 4 main therapies, Abdominal Massage, Acupressure, Rebozo and Pulsing, when combined allow for a much deeper, energy release than just a regular style of massage.
Who is it for?
Any women can benefit from this massage. Whether you are trying to get pregnant or you are experiencing gynaecological, digestive or emotional issues.
Some of the more common complaints also addressed by this massage are:
- Painful or irregular menses
- Bladder or yeast infection
- Miscarriages or difficult pregnancies
- Pre-menopause or menopause symptoms
- PMT/ Depression before menstruation
- Ovarian and breast cysts
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Sexual trauma
- Held in emotions
- Childhood trauma
- Maternal problems
- Stomach cramps
If you are interested in fertility massage or any other of the treatments we provide please use the form below to get in touch: