What is a counselling or psychotherapy assessment?
Deciding to start counselling or psychotherapy can be a delicate decision to make. As such, it is very important that you find the right therapist for you. A counselling or psychotherapy assessment is an initial session which is an important part of the therapeutic process and will help the therapist make an assessment of your circumstances.
The assessment goals are:
- To give you an opportunity to explore and externalise some of the difficulties you might have in your life.
- To provide information about the difference between counselling and psychotherapy.
- To enable the therapist to make an informed decision about your suitability for therapy or recommend an alternative form of help that might be more appropriate.
- To enable the therapist to identify any factors that may contra-indicate therapy at this time, such as psychiatric history, substance abuse or further mental health issues.
- To hear your expectations of therapy and explore the reality of what can be achieved together.
The assessment, like a regular counselling or psychotherapy session, is carried out in an empathic, safe and non-judgemental environment where everything said will be kept confidential.
If, at the end of the session, you and your therapist decide to work together you will agree on a day and time that would be convenient for future sessions. These will take place on the same day and time each week, unless agreed otherwise with your counsellor.
Like in all therapies the regularity of the sessions and the commitment made towards your own improvement is crucial. This is why you will be asked to attend weekly therapy sessions.
If you would like to explore the possibility of having counselling and psychotherapy or would like to ask more information, call our expert reception team on 02077356813 to understand how we can help you.
If you would like to book an appointment then please use the form below to get in touch or call our receptionists on 020 7735 6813 to book an appointment or request a call back from our specialists.